Investigation Of An Epidemic Of Meningitis In Baruten Local Government Area Of Kwara State, Nigeria

TM Akande, JO Monehin



This is a report of an investigation into an outbreak of meningitis in three communities of Baruten Local Government Area (LGA) of Kwara State, Nigeria. A total of 41 cases of cerebrospinal meningitis (CSM) were reported. There was a preponderance of males (78%). Thirty-eight (92.7%) did not receive CSF vaccine while the remaining 3 (7.3%) that receive the vaccine were vaccinated less than a week before the onset of illness. Case Fatality Rate (CFR) was 7.3%. About half (46.3%) of the cases were aged between 6-15 years. The outbreak could have been prevented if adequate supplies of CSM vaccine were provided and vaccination conducted early enough. Government policy of mass immunization against meningitis in November of every year should be implemented and properly monitored to prevent future outbreaks of meningitis and its resultant morbidity and mortality.
Key Words: Cerebrospinal meningitis, Outbreak, Kwara State, Nigeria.
Afr. J. Clin. Exper. Microbiol. 2004; 5 (3): 247-251
Download PDF below